Main features of LPWAN Technologies
- Low power RF technology
- Low current consumption, therefore long battery life
- Wide area coverage, compared with other technologies like Bluetooth Wifi.
- Lower cost than mobile networks, such as 5G
- Enable wireless connectivity of remote ‘field’ sensors to internet gateway devices.
- A key component in the internet of things.
- Suitable for devices and applications that require low speed data rates.
- Not suitable for devices & applications requiring high speed levels of data transfer, such as cctv links. Wifi is a much more suitable technology for cctv links.
LPWAN is short for Low Power Wide Area Network.
The term was first introduced in 2013 for a technology designed for M2M communications, which is short for ‘Machine-to-Machine’ communications.
What is LPWAN
As a technology it provides a niche gap solution between mobile cellular (3G, LTE), and short range technologies, such as Bluetooth, Wifi & Zigbee.
LPWAN is designed for machine communication rather than between humans.
Human communications consist of voice, video & data, and have different technical requirements to M2M.
Human electronic communications require high data rates and low latency (signal delay), while the user is moving around.
M2M requirements by contrast require low data transfer rates, infrequent transmission, and a low mobility requirement.
LPWAN technology is used by businesses to create their own secure data communications network.
Current LPWAN Technologies
It is available operating both on licenced radio frequency spectrum, and unlicenced radio spectrum.
Licenced Radio Spectrum IOT Technologies
Unlicenced Radio Spectrum IOT Technologies